All of Moab’s Bicycle shops have remarkable stories to tell. This month we are focusing on Poison Spider Bicycles.
The Poison Spider Bicycles story began in 1988 when Judy and Chuck Nichols brought their tour company to Moab and started Canyon Country Bed & Breakfast, Moab’s first B&B, and established a mountain bike rental fleet with 6 used bikes. By 1990, the popularity of mountain biking exploded and both the bike rental operation and tour company moved from the B&B to the current location, which back then was a tiny turquoise and pink house called Nichols Bike Stop.
The giant spider on the side of Poison Spider Bicycles’ building has been a longtime landmark on the north end of Moab.
The name of the shop changed to Poison Spider Bicycles in 1992 and in the winter of 1993 work started on the current building, which opened in March of 1994. Scott Newton started as a mechanic and, when offered the business in January of 2007, he took the opportunity to instill his love of riding through the business. All of the employees that work at Poison Spider Bicycle ride some type of bike. Triathletes, racers, mountain bikers, dirt jumpers and roadies all work there and convey their love of riding daily to the locals and tourists alike!
The Poison Spider staff fully support Moab’s Do It Like A Moab Local program which promotes stewardship of our unique and fragile environment.
Poison Spider Bicycles, a longtime asset to the Moab Community, is involved in the following programs and organizations:
- High school and middle school mountain biking team coaches
- Grand County High School student government and cheerleader sponsors
- Bike rack provider to local businesses
- Bike to work program for Moab employees
- Christmas Toy Drive for foster families in Grand County
- Christmas food drive
- PSB recycles
- Support for renewable energy sources by participating in the Utah Blue Sky Wind Generated Power Program
- Donates a portion of their t-shirt sales to the Moab Trail Alliance
- IMBA and Bikes Belong member
Poison Spider Bicycles achievements include:
- Bicycle Dealer Showcase
- Velo News, NBDA and North American Cyclists Top 100 Bicycle Shop
- Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the past three years as well.