The CCC was established in 1933 as part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal, and was designed to implement much needed conservation projects, and to provide jobs for young men, as well as income for their families during the Great Depression. The CCC built four camps in the Moab area, and the men who served here came from all over the U.S., and primarily worked on soil conservation and other flood control projects. The program ended in 1942 as the United States entered into World War II. Many of the CCC projects continue to stand today, and some of the buildings were later moved and re-purposed. The Dalton Wells location was used during the WWII as an isolation center for the incarceration of Japanese American citizens by the War Relocation Authority.